Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Scholarship Programme for Developing Countries is for the promotion of young talent has been one of the founding principles of the FES.
At the time when Friedrich Ebert was elected as the first president of the Weimar Republic, it was almost impossible for talented children from socially disadvantaged backgrounds to study at universities or take part in research programmes.
With the foundation of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in 1925, the first scholarships were awarded to particularly talented young individuals from a working class milieu who were taking an active part in the young democracy of the Weimar Republic.
- Host Country: Germany
- Study Abroad: Study in Europe
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Developing Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | 1,200 € per month | Family Allowance | Health Care Allowance
- Deadline: Not Specified
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) is the oldest political foundation in Germany with a rich tradition in social democracy dating back to its foundation in 1925.
- Study-In-UK: 2023 University of Dundee Global Excellence Scholarship For International Students
- Study-In-UK: 2023 UNESCO Internship Program for International Students
- Study-In-Germany: 2023 German Catholic KAAD Scholarship Program For International Students
- Online Math – Algebra I Tutor at Littera Education
- Tutor Manager at Paper Education
The foundation owes its formation and its mission to the political legacy of its namesake Friedrich Ebert, the first democratically elected German President.
To address social disadvantages by supporting students who actively work for freedom, justice and social cohesion in their commitment to social democracy, or will do so in future, continues to be one of the aims of the FES.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must meet the following:
- Required Languages: English / German
- Eligible Countries: Gifted students from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe
- The candidates’ aptitudes and personalities show excellent promise for an academic or professional career.
- Admission to study or enrolment at a state or state-recognized higher-education institution in Germany
- Sufficient knowledge of German, although the courses are held in English. This means a ‘Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang’ of at least DSH level 2, a ‘Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache’ of at least level 4 or a ‘Zertifikat C 1’ by a Goethe Institute
- Candidates are expected to show commitment to the values of social democracy.
- Above-average performance in school and studies
- Personality – we are looking for applicants with the following:
- political thinking
- Thirst for knowledge
- Tolerance and openness
- Team orientation
- Critical ability
- self reflection
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Foreign scholarship holders receive:
- 934 € per month (basic scholarship programme) / 1.200 € per month (graduate scholarship programme)
- 276 € of family allowance, if applicable
- Refund of health care costs
- Any income exceeding 400 € per month will be credited against the scholarship.
FES expects scholarship holders:
- To participate in extra-curricular seminars and activities of FES campus groups on a regular basis
- To achieve above-average results in their degree courses
- To continue and intensify their socio-political commitment.
The FES supports
- All academic subjects
- Students from public or state-approved universities and from universities of applied sciences/polytechnical colleges (FH)
- Postgraduate programmes(PhD)
The FES does not support
- Second degree courses
- Study visits outside Germany
- Final phases of academic studies
- Postgraduate courses in medicine
Method of Application
To apply for the scholarship program, kindly follow the following procedure
- Self-application: Please use the “Online-Bewerbung” on the Internet – in German only!supplementary sheet
- Individual interviews: In a second step, selected candidates will be invited to two individual interviews. The first interview will be conducted by one of the lecturers from the FES, and the second interview by one of the members of the FES scholarship committee (AWA). Two reports are written on the basis of these interviews and presented to the AWA.
- Discussion and final decision by the AWA: The AWA will eventually make a final decision about your application. The AWA is an independent body composed of university lecturers as well as other persons from the fields of science, politics, art and media. The committee meets at least three times a year. The AWA will discuss every application at great length and then make the final decision.
- Written notification: You will be notified of the AWA’s decision.